Tuesday 27 May 2008

Restless

I'm restless for countless reasons.

I've been in England for far too long. I've been away for far too long now. Well, it only has been 5 months but I feel like I'm still allowed to complain. I am usually not the whiny type. This feeling of restlessness, it's getting to me. It's like the only cure to it, is by taking the next 13-hour flight back to Malaysia. It's the only way.

England has become boring and predictable. If it's too good to be true, then it definitely is. Good, sunny weathers don't last. English weathers totally revolutionised the definition of summer. The new-age summer means that at least 50% of the day, 50% of the skies would be covered by gloomy clouds, waiting to rain on you. And english rains are toxic. You heard me. The air in Malaysia may be polluted, but when it rains, you could film an amateur love movie playing under the rain, because it'll never give you a headache. You could catch a cold if you stay under the rain long enough. Being the drama queen that I am, I must stress that the next statement has no element of exaggeration at all. Zilch. When the raindrops start to fall and land on my head, within the next 5 seconds I am guaranteed a throbbing agonising headache. Even a hot shower won't make it go away. I need to call in the painkillers everytime. What is it in the rain that makes it so toxic, it's giving everyone headaches?

The next legit reason for why I'm restless: There's an 8 day gap between my 5th and last paper. Initially, this meant an extra time to work on the paper, in hopes for it to bring up my average marks. After having 5 papers, (split into 3 and 2 back-to-backs) I am mentally exhausted. Exhausted doesn't even begin to cover it. It's inexcusable that english universities just fuck up your exam timetables when your whole future is involved. I have friends with 4 and 5 back-to-backs. Personally, 3 was my cut off point. This calls for a reform. Then again, with their poor financial management skills, they take pleasure in failing students (Especially international students) because this translates to higher income flow from exam resits. As if it wasn't bad enough that our fees are three times what the locals pay. Their budget deficits makes you say-wtf, how could a top university be in such large deficits. Sure, carry on with your experimental researches. I feel like I could benefit so much after hearing that "The success of football clubs could be down to the colour of their shirt, according to new research". Or how "Suitors can tell a young person’s attitude to sexual relationships by their face, new research suggests." I wonder whatever happened to common sense. Maybe this is how they say "I told you so, in your face".

Instead of reading about how the US' role in Pacific Asia declined after the Cold War, I decided to procrastinate my heart out. Maybe I'll be more productive tomorrow. Who knows. After all, I do work better under pressure. Then again, when its too much, I stop to care. And the fear of it being the latter does not even bother me one bit.

I have been here for too long. It's time to go home. It's time to leave England.

No comments: